Ramadan Mubarak everyone! May Allah bless us all and help us to make the most out of this holy month. Ameen. Do remember me in your prayers too! How is it going so far?
Talking about Iftaar or eating habits in Ramadan in general, I made myself one promise this year i.e. not to eat any deep fried items throughout the month. I’ll be spending Ramadan at home after whole 4 years this time and I’m pretty excited to schedule everything according to my liking. Going great so far.
These nutella swirled chocolate chip blondies have a chewy center and a crackly top with those nutella pools to melt in your mouth. These Blondie’s have a unique nutty buttery aroma and taste that’s basically from melted butter. OMG I’m drooling as I write this.
These bite sized pretties are easy and approachable, the recipe won’t take more than 15 mins to come together, requires one bowl only and can also be made ahead of time. Perfect to add to your Iftaar menu or if you are hosting any gathering in general. There’s no way you can go wrong with this recipe. This is the simplest yet most delicious baking project. Extra 10 points for presentation, for sure. I mean, look how beautiful!!!
One thing that I love love about baking is that you can make almost everything ahead of time. Makes hosting a gathering a lot easier.
Few things that make these blondies taste SO GOOD:
Melted Butter: We start by melting butter over a double boiler. You can also do it in microwave but it’s easy to keep an eye as it melts in a double boiler and requires continuous whisking. It also looks more dramatic 😛 and your inner baker will love it 😛 Once butter is completely melted,continue to whisk for a few more minutes before taking it off.
TBH recipes that calls for melted butter/brown butter are worth the hype!
Sugar (shiny crackly top): A mix of white and brown sugar will always enhance the flavor of any dessert. Whisk sugar in butter when it’s still warm to help melt the sugar and also get that crackly top. This process will make sugar particles move towards the top where they settle, resulting in a shiny crackly top.
Nutella Swirls: You can go as gentle or as wild with nutella as you want. I’m attaching a video that I followed to make those swirls. Watch it from 2:40 sec onward. Or you can just scoop few tablespoons of nutella and create swirls with a help of a knife.
Chocolate Chips: If you are sprinkling chocolate chips on top as well, take a pinch of all purpose flour and mix it in chocolate chips. Floured chocolate chips will stay at top and not sink.
The recipe flavors are inspired by bakesalotlady nutella swirled cookie bars and the recipe itself is adapted from my chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Nutella Swirled Chocolate Chip Blondies
Yield :16 (2 inch square) Blondies
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
2 cups (250 g) All Purpose Flour
1 teaspoons Corn Starch
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons (190 g) Butter OR 2/3 cup (150 g) Ghee – 80% quantity of butter
3/4 cup (150 g) Brown Sugar
1/4 cup (50 g) White powder Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Nutella Spread
3/4 cup (150 g) Chocolate Chips
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch and baking powder. Add salt. Whisk together and put it at a side.
- In a large heatproof bowl, add butter. Place it on top of pot of simmering water, on a stove top. Whisk continuously until butter melts. Remove from heat after few minutes of complete melting.
- Add sugar in melted butter mix while it’s still hot and beat it together. Add eggs, one at a time and beat together. Add vanilla extract. Add sifted flour mix and gently foooold until just combined. Add chocolate chips.
- In a greased 8×8 square pan, pour the batter. Put 9 tablespoons of nutella at equal distance on batter and swirl it with a knife. Sprinkle some chocolate chips on top.
- Bake at 175 degree centigrade until a toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs on it, for 30-45 minutes.
- Let it cool down to room temperature, while inside the pan, on a wire rack.